Jeep Wagoneer Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2022 Grand Wagoneer series III
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys that have the new hurricane motor please tell us what you think. Listening to the testers out there that are getting a paycheck to tell you what they think can’t be 100% honest and keep their jobs so we are counting on you guys to tell us what you think.

· Registered
36 Posts
I think the Hurricane is good, but the sheer size/weight of the GW doesn't allow it to be great.
My 2019 Lincoln Navigator has a 3.5L twin turbo V6 and it feels quicker than the GW. The Navigator also only requires 87 octane fuel and gets better mpg, making it a far superior engine.

· Registered
54 Posts
I think the Hurricane is good, but the sheer size/weight of the GW doesn't allow it to be great.
My 2019 Lincoln Navigator has a 3.5L twin turbo V6 and it feels quicker than the GW. The Navigator also only requires 87 octane fuel and gets better mpg, making it a far superior engine.
Interesting observation. Car & Driver got the GW L to 60 in 5 seconds. In 2019 they tested the Navigator at 5.5 seconds so pretty similar in performance.
Chrysler/Stellantis have consistently had the heaviest vehicles in their respective segments. I don't know why but that's usually the case. So no surprise the GW suffers from being heavy.
C&D also stated that the 3.5 can run on 87 but Premium (91 or above) was recommended for better performance.
In my experience with turbo engines they need the higher octane rating to get the most out of them.

· Registered
36 Posts
C&D also stated that the 3.5 can run on 87 but Premium (91 or above) was recommended for better performance.
In my experience with turbo engines they need the higher octane rating to get the most out of them.
For the price of gas these days, I don't mind sacrificing small performance advantage for the huge $ savings on 87 octane gas, as long as 91+ isn't required. ;)

· Registered
2022 Grand Wagoner Series III B. White / Agave
45 Posts
Car and Driver October 11th 2022 - "We got the 6428-pound Grand Wagoneer L to 60 mph in a scant 4.7 seconds, beating the old, 102-pound-lighter V-8 model by 0.7 second"

Motorweek pulled a 13.5 Sec 1/4 mile in the "L".

The Cadillac Escalade -V in 4.3 Seconds

As asked above by the Original poster He is looking for people with the Grand and the New Hurricane motor not an opinion of.

In the reg Grand Wagoneer I was at best a 4.6 sec 0-60 which is very impressive for a Full Size SUV. It has great acceleration and performs very well in traffic and when passing. It is not loud when idling and has a good sound when you are on it. My MPG combined has been around 14.2 and 19.2 at 76 MPH on the Highway. I have just over 3k miles on it.

· Registered
6 Posts
@iTommy - Congratulations on your GW3 with the Hurricane

It yours an 'L"?
Does it have the factory Trailer package?
What does the sticker in the driver's door jam say for max tow weight?
Is there a yellow sticker that was added to the driver's door jam with an 'adjusted' payload weight?

Thanks!

· Registered
36 Posts
@iTommy - Congratulations on your GW3 with the Hurricane

It yours an 'L"?
Does it have the factory Trailer package?
What does the sticker in the driver's door jam say for max tow weight?
Is there a yellow sticker that was added to the driver's door jam with an 'adjusted' payload weight?

Thanks!
It is not an "L"
And I do not have the optional Trailer package.

· Registered
36 Posts
Don’t be so stingy with the details! What do you think about it? How do you rate that motor, is it a 10, a turd or somewhere in between?
I already gave my thoughts in post #2 above.
I feel the Hurricane is good, but not great. Would be hard for me to rate it cuz I'm not a truck enthusiast that has driven hundreds of trucks. But I'd have to say it's at least a 7 or 8.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts