Jeep Wagoneer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some lucky person is going to take home this restored 1984 Grand Wagoneer with a LS engine that's up for auction on Bring a Trailer.

The 5.7-liter LS1 V8 was reportedly sourced from a 2001 Chevrolet Corvette with 73k miles and fitted with a new water pump, front and rear main seals, harmonic balancer, spark plugs, and belt tensioner during installation. Additional alterations include a modified wiring harness with unused sensors shut off at the ECU, a drive-by-cable setup using a Chevrolet Camaro SS throttle body, a cold air intake, a custom battery tray, an aluminum radiator with electric fans that come on with the A/C, a transmission cooler, and more. The fuel tank was pressure tested and fitted with a new fuel pump and lines. The exhaust system does not include catalytic converters, though the seller notes that 02 sensors and wiring remain present.

Engine mounts from Novak Conversions were bolted and welded on prior to powder-coating the frame. The 4L60E transmission features a custom Heim-jointed shift linkage and adapters connecting it to a stock transfer case overhauled with new gaskets and bearings. The rear driveshaft was shortened, while the front was lengthened and balanced. Both differentials were hot-tanked and rebuilt with 2.73: gearing. Suspension, steering, and braking parts purchased through Team Grand Wagoneer consisted of the following:
  • Brake master cylinder and booster
  • Front brake calipers, brackets, springs, bleeder screws, and semi-metallic pads
  • Rear brake drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, self-adjusters, parking brake cable, hose retainer mounting clip
  • Gabriel Ultra G-Force Technology front and rear shocks
  • Leaf spring shackles, bolts, and nuts
  • Prothane transfer case mounts, track bar bushings, axle bumper snubbers, sway bar cushions
  • Power steering gear, steering shaft, and coupler with rag joint
  • Fuel tank skid plate with locking nuts and bolts
  • New old-stock fender mounting bolts
  • Body mount bolts and floor plugs
  • Hood insulation

·
Registered
49 Posts
It would be even cooler to see someone throw a Hellcat engine in one. Not a fan of swapping engines in from a different automaker, even when the engine is as legendary as the LS.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I know motor mounts will take work to get right. The rest i'm not so sure about.
That's only the beginning in getting the swap done right.
Considering the tolerances of other components that have to deliver that power to the wheels is important as well.

Swaps of that caliber aren't so simple.

·
Registered
49 Posts
True.

I always thought it was bed to stick to newer vehicles for this sort of power.
I mean, you can buy a Trackhawk, run it stock and have A LOT of fun... all under warranty.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could only imagine how much work would need to be done to support and handle the power of a Hellcat motor. It would truly have to be a labor of love.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts