Jeep Wagoneer Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Steve DaSilva from Jalopnik is confused with how Jeep and Stellantis have handled the Wagoneer line. Especially with the announcement of the Wagoneer S.

I have to admit it hasn't been the most clear with the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer, Wagoneer L and Grand Wagoneer L and now the Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer S and 4xe coming out.

Wagoneer, as a full-fledged Jeep sub-brand, needs an EV. But, clearly, it can’t be an EV that has literally anything in common with the existing Wagoneers. It can’t be big or boxy, it can’t be the same size, and don’t even think about sharing styling cues between the two. It has to be entirely unrelated, but also still a Wagoneer, because Stellantis hates you, specifically.

So now we have the Wagoneer S, which is the size of a Grand Cherokee, and has nothing in common with the other cars in the lineup. We have the Wagoneer, which is available in short and long wheelbase configurations, and then we have the Grand Wagoneer, which is the same thing but fancier. This is truly astonishingly dumb, but at least it will confuse consumers when they try to shell out five or six figures on a Jeep. That’s good, for complicated and meaningful reasons.

What Jeep could have done was make all short-wheelbase models the Wagoneer, and all long-wheelbase models the Grand Wagoneer. The company could have reused the Summit branding from the Grand Cherokee for its top-tier three-row, turning it into a badge like GMC’s Denali. This would even make the Wagoneer lineup roughly align with the Yukon in price, and we all know the Yukon Denali is the old-money favorite anyway.

Then, for the Wagoneer S, it could have actually shared one (1) styling cue with its bigger siblings. Literally any cosmetic feature. I feel like that’s not asking a ton, here, but it would bring the S in line with the rest of the Wagoneer family — making it earn that name. Then, you’re in a Bronco/Bronco Sport situation, but with the Wagoneer S-for-sport standing out more than the baby Bronco by virtue of its electric powertrain.

Stellantis had all the tools, it could have made a perfectly sensical and functional brand out of Wagoneer. Instead, for reasons unknowable, it just decided not to. I weep, for what could have been.

·
Registered
2022 Grand Wagoneer series III
100 Posts
Heck they can’t even get the hurricane on the street and already dreaming about bigger plans?!?! I ordered a grand exactly like I wanted it when I bought what they had on the ground in march and the build time changes at least once a month. Here in the middle of September and it ain’t here yet?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts