Jeep Wagoneer Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new GW3 last week. (Yay!)
I went to Costco for grocery shopping, got back to the car to load the cargo.
This was at night, so after loading the groceries for a minute, all the interior lights went off even though my tailgate is still up and I'm still trying to load cargo into the trunk.
Is this normal? Is it a setting in the car? (I haven't found one.)
I've leased the Lincoln Navigator, MB GL450/GLS550, Lincoln MKT, Acura MDX in the past and the lights never automatically shut off on me while loading cargo into the trunk.
Anyone notice this as well?

· Registered
102 Posts
Just got my new GW3 last week. (Yay!)
I went to Costco for grocery shopping, got back to the car to load the cargo.
This was at night, so after loading the groceries for a minute, all the interior lights went off even though my tailgate is still up and I'm still trying to load cargo into the trunk.
Is this normal? Is it a setting in the car? (I haven't found one.)
I've leased the Lincoln Navigator, MB GL450/GLS550, Lincoln MKT, Acura MDX in the past and the lights never automatically shut off on me while loading cargo into the trunk.
Anyone notice this as well?
Your GWS3 may be slightly different but my WS1 has a setting you can configure. In the infotainment screen, click the vehicle icon then look for settings on the top right side of the screen. Click that and then you have several menus to scrawl through and change things. LIGHTS is one of them and see if you can find anything strange there. I don't see anything regarding the dome or interior lights. Also, there are three buttons up by the SOS button on the top by where your sunroof buttons are. One is for the rear tailgate open, one is for the door open notification off and another is for dome lights on. If you can determine what is going on with dome lights, check this button and turn it ON when you loading/unloading in the dark. All the interior lights will turn on with it. :) It could be that your dealer sales guy messed with it and changed it when they did the PDI on your GWS3 (or if they didn't even do anything). Just last night, we went shopping after dark and brought back 6 paper bags of groceries and grabbed two at a time to get them inside the house and my dome lights never turned off. I don't think I was faster than a minute. My wife and I even stood there looking at how nicely lit the interior was all the way to the front and how much better it was as compared to our 2016 Honda Pilot we traded in.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your GWS3 may be slightly different but my WS1 has a setting you can configure. In the infotainment screen, click the vehicle icon then look for settings on the top right side of the screen. Click that and then you have several menus to scrawl through and change things. LIGHTS is one of them and see if you can find anything strange there. I don't see anything regarding the dome or interior lights. Also, there are three buttons up by the SOS button on the top by where your sunroof buttons are. One is for the rear tailgate open, one is for the door open notification off and another is for dome lights on. If you can determine what is going on with dome lights, check this button and turn it ON when you loading/unloading in the dark. All the interior lights will turn on with it. :) It could be that your dealer sales guy messed with it and changed it when they did the PDI on your GWS3 (or if they didn't even do anything). Just last night, we went shopping after dark and brought back 6 paper bags of groceries and grabbed two at a time to get them inside the house and my dome lights never turned off. I don't think I was faster than a minute. My wife and I even stood there looking at how nicely lit the interior was all the way to the front and how much better it was as compared to our 2016 Honda Pilot we traded in.
I've check all the settings and buttons, nothing keeps those lights on indefinitely. Your truck may still be running while you're offloading, which is normal.
I'm talking about when you're loading cargo into the truck while it's not running. (The normal thing people do while loading cargo at store's parking lots.)

· Registered
102 Posts
I've check all the settings and buttons, nothing keeps those lights on indefinitely. Your truck may still be running while you're offloading, which is normal.
I'm talking about when you're loading cargo into the truck while it's not running. (The normal thing people do while loading cargo at store's parking lots.)
Pretty sure my WS1 engine was totally off and the keys were in my pocket when we were unloading. I even asked my wife and she confirmed the truck was off with all doors closed and only the tailgate open. Not sure what else to tell you, I hope you figure it out!

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pretty sure my WS1 engine was totally off and the keys were in my pocket when we were unloading. I even asked my wife and she confirmed the truck was off with all doors closed and only the tailgate open. Not sure what else to tell you, I hope you figure it out!
Hmm, the only light settings are the following, unless I'm looking in the wrong place. There's nothing here that configures interior light timeouts. 🧐
Font Parallel Screenshot Number Rectangle

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went there last night and couldn't find anything related. Did you try the lights button near the SOS button above your head?
I'll have to double check, but I'm sure one of the buttons is the manual dome light button that just turns on/off the interior lights, and the other is the dome defeat button that keeps all the interior lights off at all times. The fact that the interior lights do turn on when the doors or tailgate is open, means that the dome defeat button is not activated.

· Registered
102 Posts
I'll have to double check, but I'm sure one of the buttons is the manual dome light button that just turns on/off the interior lights, and the other is the dome defeat button that keeps all the interior lights off at all times. The fact that the interior lights do turn on when the doors or tailgate is open, means that the dome defeat button is not activated.
Ok here is my last try: There are two dials on the lower left side of the steering wheel. They are left of the power pedal buttons. The right side wheel turns up the lights on the dash. See what the left dial wheel is doing? Play with that to see if it makes any difference. Crank it up all the way and check at night if that makes a difference in the dome lights. :)

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok here is my last try: There are two dials on the lower left side of the steering wheel. They are left of the power pedal buttons. The right side wheel turns up the lights on the dash. See what the left dial wheel is doing? Play with that to see if it makes any difference. Crank it up all the way and check at night if that makes a difference in the dome lights. :)
Thanks! I will keep trying anything/everything! 🤪

1 - 12 of 12 Posts