Jeep Wagoneer Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Grand Wagoneer. 3 days old. First time using the 2nd row easy entry button with kids and now the dash screen says “check 2nd row latch before driving”. Everything looks ok. I manually moved it and closed it and opened it but now the easy entry button doesn’t work and the warning is up on the dash. Any help with how to reset this. Hope it’s something simple. Thanks!

· Registered
2 Posts
We just had this issue on a grand wagoneer with only 1500 miles. We were about to take it to the dealership, but after letting the car sit for a while and turning it back on the 2nd row seats work again. Has anyone else had the issue resolve itself? And did it come back?

· Registered
85 Posts
We just had this issue on a grand wagoneer with only 1500 miles. We were about to take it to the dealership, but after letting the car sit for a while and turning it back on the 2nd row seats work again. Has anyone else had the issue resolve itself? And did it come back?
Hello. If you notice any new or worsening concerns, please let our team know. We would be happy to discuss further.

Kate
Wagoneer Client Services

· Registered
3 Posts
Interesting on how I came across this just now. We were in our way back from a 800 mile road trip and made a pit stop half way thru and I could get the teens outs of the 3rd row from the left 2nd row seat. Same exact issue - error message on the main screen and button downs work. I looked around for a manual lever under the seat but there’s nothing. Kind of disappointed there is no manual way of tilting the seat forward when theorems an electrical hiccup. I’ll be going to the dealership this week to have them look at this and my 3rd row where the seat back leather is now unclipped as well.

· Registered
2 Posts
Interesting on how I came across this just now. We were in our way back from a 800 mile road trip and made a pit stop half way thru and I could get the teens outs of the 3rd row from the left 2nd row seat. Same exact issue - error message on the main screen and button downs work. I looked around for a manual lever under the seat but there’s nothing. Kind of disappointed there is no manual way of tilting the seat forward when theorems an electrical hiccup. I’ll be going to the dealership this week to have them look at this and my 3rd row where the seat back leather is now unclipped as well.
We were able to move the seat with the manual lever under the front of the seat. The problem went away when we started the car the next time we drove it, so we cancelled our appointment at the dealership. I do wonder if there’s a software update that fixes the problem so it doesn’t come back though.

· Registered
7 Posts
We have this issue right now too. The issue is caused in our case by latching the seat on an obstruction (cloth napkin.) there appears to be some sensor that this prevents from detecting the seat as latched. Unfortunately, when not latched, it also disables the button to unlatch so we can remove the stuck cloth to fix. Need to find a manual removal method.. ugh

· Registered
3 Posts
Had the same thing happen when we accidentally closed the seat in a child seat belt and that was the obstruction. You are right it disables the button and you can’t unlatch it. There is a possibility of you hold it for sometime it may override it and let you open it. However if you can get to the back side button of the seat, there is a cover that unsnaps. I was able to remove that and work the belt out of the latch mechanism and peace was restored.

· Registered
7 Posts
Ok, I spent this evening resolving this issue (after we got home from our trip.)

This is most definitely a defect in the seat release design. Here's what happened in my case:
  1. A disposable cloth cover got closed in the inner seat rail latch when closing the seat.
  2. Because of the cloth, the inner seat rail latch could not fully engage. It was stuck unlatched.
  3. Because the inner seat rail latch was not engaged, the warning appeared on the dash AND the button to release the seat would not function.
  4. A cursory attempt to resolve was to pull the cloth out, which caused it to rip and be stuck.
  5. Further attempts to remove the cloth with needle nose pliers were unsuccessful.
  6. I ended up needing to disassemble the covers on the sides of the seat and figure out how the latching mechanism worked. Once this was done, I was able to manually disengage the latches and remove the cloth!

The last part of #3 above is the defect. In my STRONG opinion, the button should continue to function and disengage EVEN IF ONE OF THE LATCHES IS NOT FULLY ENGAGED. The function as-is causes any case where one latch engages and the other does not to be unsolvable without disassembly of the seat and manual release.

Because I had to go through this - I took pictures to hopefully help anyone else stuck in the same situation:

First off, here was the culprit:
Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle door

That little disposable fabric was a pain in the arse..

Anyway, first off - I already had my middle seat removed. This made accessing the inner side easier for me. If you have a middle seat or console - you might need to figure out how to access the inner portion on your own.

Here's what the inner seat cover looks like:
Automotive design Input device Office equipment Computer keyboard Tints and shades

Removal of the screw on the right is all that is needed to remove the cover. There are 2 plastic retaining clips on the left side, just be gentle and careful not to break as you open.

Once removed, the lever pulled by the button is readily apparent. See below, the arrow is the direction the lever needs pulled to disengage:
Automotive tire Steering part Motor vehicle Vehicle Steering wheel

This is where I discovered my inner side was not fully engaged. Also, I still couldn't remove the cloth from here. So it was good to understand the mechanism, but looks like I need to release the other side to fix my problem.

So I started disassembling the outer side. First, I removed the handle - it just pulls straight off:
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design

Next, I had to remove the cover. The nice thing was the cover had no screws. To remove, pull from the back pretty forcefully. The same 2 plastic clips in the back are present, but there is also a metal trim retaining clip in the lower rear. Be careful not to pull from the front - the front has a retaining plastic ring that goes over the metal side bracket.

Here's the cover removed:
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Trunk Personal luxury car

And here's the metal plate behind the cover:
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive design

Its hard to see, but the EXACT same lever mechanism as on the inner side is present on the outer side. It's a pain to get to though. I did try (unsuccessfully) to reach it without removing the cover. No luck.

However with the cover off, I was able to get to it up under the metal plate with a long screwdriver.

Here's a pic of it - bad pic and hard to light it - but if you compare it with what was on the other side, you'll see it. The red arrow is the direction you need to push it to release it.
Automotive lighting Sunglasses Automotive design Gas Font

After I pushed just this side - because the other side was disengaged, the seat popped right up, and I was able to remove the cloth!

Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Grey Wood

Hope this helps someone stuck with the same issue. If anyone finds a better way - please update us!+

· Registered
3 Posts
I had this exact same issue but mine was the webbing of a seat belt from a child seat in the middle seat. I did not notice it laying across the track and one of the latches did not engage.

Took me two days to figure out what was causing my error and the the pull the rear cover where I was able to forcible yank it out.

the software should have logic where it is push and hold button for x amount is time to manually override mechanism and force and unlock. Not just render it useless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts